Several areas in Álava give a warm welcome to carnivals.
In fact, Vitoria carnivals kick off with “Jueves de Lardero”. But , the climax is reached on the weekend thanks to the celebrated fancy dress contest and the overcrowded parade of “comparsas”. The event comes to an end with the burial of the sardine in the Plaza Nueva Square.
In addition, Zalduondo celebrates a rural-character carnival. The popular event is considered to be one of the oldest celebrations of Álava.
Carnival Program of Vitoria-Gastez. From February 6 to 13
During the days of Carnival the historic center and the city center are flooded with the best festive atmosphere. This year, the carnival celebrations are held from 6 to 13 February 2018 and a total of 25 extras will take part with the most varied themes.
- Friday 9 February
- 21:00 Carnival Show ‘KIMUAK, inauzi eta berriak hazi’
- Saturday 10 February
- 13:00 Parade of the Painters of Vitoria and placement of the costume to “El Caminante”
- 6:30 pm Parade of Carnival troupes through the Legutiano portal, Bilbao Square, France Street, La Paz Street, Órtiz de Zárate Street, Florida Street and Florida Park.
- 23:00 – 03:00 Verbena with the Kresala group, in the Plaza de España.
00:00 – 02:00 Batukada by the Beriba Samba Eskola group. Route: Virgen Square
Blanca, Mateo de Moraza street, San Francisco hill, Cuchillería street, San Francisco Javier canton and Pintorería street
- Sunday 11 February
- 12:00 Parade of Carnival groups, through the Legutiano portal, Bilbao Square, France Street, La Paz Street, Órtiz de Zárate Street, Florida Street and Florida Park.
- Tuesday 13
18: 00- 20:30 Verbena de la Sardina: Plaza de España with the Lisker group.
20:00 Burning of the Sardine.